I believe that I am formally and offically a farmer. Snowflake, my pygmy goat, had a surprise baby doeling. I figured out that Snowflake was pregnant on Sunday morning when I went to feed everyone and let the chickens out, because her udders were noticably larger. After some quick internet research, I figured out that not only was she pregnant, but she was in early labor! You see, goats have a ligament on the top of their backs at the base of their tail that gets really soft when labor is coming soon, and hers was very soft, not to mention the fact that she was acting very weird.

We didn’t think that D’Argo, our only buck, got anyone pregnant last fall since he was soo sick. (He almost died) Not to mention the fact that he is soo tiny, (he was 25 pounds) that we didn’t think he could reach any of our females. (If ya know what I am talking about) i don’t knwo what kind of goat he is, but he isn’t your classic pot-bellied pygmy.

So anyway, we watched her all day, and most of the night and no other signs of immediate labor. Jsut when I was getting more relaxed and used to the idea, I got out to check on her again before retrieving Devin from school I see her being chased feverishly around the corral by D’Argo, and definately in labor. Mind you, I had to get Devin from school on time, and no one else was home to help me, so it was clearly time to panic!

Once I got back home from getting Devin, I started getting all of my supplies together, called Mario to come home, and went back to the goat yard to start my adventure. D’Argo had chased Snowflake underneath our chicken coop and she would not come out. This wasn’t good because it was raining and muddy under there. I caught D’Argo and threw him out of the pen into our yard and went back to tend to Snowflake. She came out after a few really good contractions and decided to find a spot in the open to have the baby. (kid are usualy born in a nice warm, clean stall) I laid puppy pads out everywhere and just stayed back and watched. (snapping a few pictures as well) Shortly thereafter, I see little feet pop out, which is normal, but I couldn’t tell if they were the proper direction. More paniking! Finally, after a few freaked out phone calls and prayers, I saw a little head, and it was where it was supposed to be! Hooray!

Just before the baby should have come all the way out, Snowflake stopped pushing. I don’t know if that was what she was supposed to do, but after a minute or so, I decided to give the baby a little tug…whoosh. I had a girl! Strangely enough, she was brown! Mom and dad about both pure white. All I could think was that a deer had sneaked into the goat yard at night and knocked up my goat!

She was beautiful, and after clearing out her lungs a little and wrapping her up in some of the puppy pads, (it wass getting cold now too) I moved her around to mom to nurse. The little tyke didn’t want to nurse, she wanted to stand up and get out of the rain! Momma cleaned her and then I moved them into their warm, clean house.

Whew…what an adventure. Now, I want more babies in my yard. It’s amazing how soon you forget all the pain of birth once you get to see that tiny, beautiful face.